Retail stores seem to be shrinking their sizes. What once was a size 10 is now a size 4. How are any of us supposed to shop? The answer is the World Wide Web. Online retailers are making it easy to get just the size you need. I’ve even found websites that carry up to size 10X in select styles. There is a great selection out there for Men and Women’s plus size fashion. Here are some rules to follow when shopping online for plus size apparel.
1. Measure yourself: Knowing your own measurements will help immensely when shopping online because often times online retailers provide sizing charts. You can directly compare your measurements with that of the garment and know if it will fit you. The best type of measuring tape to use is a tailor measuring tape (it’s soft and not ridged). If you don’t have one, you can simply use a piece of string, wrap it around your body, cut the string where it meets and measure that.
2. Measure your Clothes: If you have something that fits great, you should measure it. This way you can find garments online that are cut the same (especially in the length).
3. KIS- Keep it Simple: Don’t try to buy elaborate items online (like prom dresses). The simpler the item, the more standard it is and the more likely it will fit correctly. We all know that returning things can be a hassle.
4. Buy V-Necks: V-necks elongate the neck and make you look overall taller and slimmer. So if you ever have a choice, go with the V.
5. Darker Colors: Darker colors are always flattering on everybody. Because you’re buying online stick with colors that you already know look great on you!
6. Medium Sized Patterns: If you’re going to buy something that has a pattern. Make sure it’s medium sized pattern. I know from personal experience, that the smaller the pattern, the bigger I look and if the pattern is too large it’s distracting. Each part of a medium size pattern should be no bigger than a half dollar.
7. If you’re Tall…… you should buy tall! This isn’t the 80’s, half shirts are out of style! If you’re a tall person there are so many options out there, okay not as many as standard clothes, but the market is getting there. My point is, It’s better to have simpler clothes and look good, than to have the latest fashions and have your belly button showing. Many online stores are now offering a Big and Tall section to their website. Check it out!
8. Buy Multiple: If you find a shirt online and you absolutely love it then go ahead and buy multiples in the same color. I do it all the time. You may be thinking “People are going to notice.” Well, I can barely remember what I wore yesterday yet alone what you wore. If it fits and looks good then go ahead. We all know how hard it is to find good clothes. The same principle goes for brands. If you find something that fits so well that you think “this was made for my body” then snatch everything you can get from that brand and you’ll save on shipping as well.
9. Customized: If you’re bored with the plus size clothing out there then design your own. There are companies that will do custom screen printing and embroidery with no minimum order. That means you could just get one if you wanted to. I always say if you can’t find what you’re looking for make it yourself!